From the City of Fernie’s website:
“The Fernie Emergency Social Services team is looking for volunteers from the community to fill various roles within its team. Emergency Social Services (ESS) provides short-term assistance to Fernie citizens who are forced to leave their homes because of fire, floods, extreme weather or other emergencies. This assistance includes food, lodging, clothing, emotional support and family reunification.
The ESS team works together with local residents, agencies, and businesses to increase Fernie’s level of emergency preparedness, as well as provide essential needs of people affected by a disaster. The Program’s objectives are to:
- Help citizens to remain independent and self-sufficient;
- Help citizens to meet their basic survival needs during a disaster;
- Reunite families and individuals separated by disaster;
- Provide citizens with accurate and up-to-date information about the emergency; and
- Help citizens to re-establish themselves as quickly as possible after a disaster.
If you would like to get involved or would like more information please attend the Information Meeting upstairs at the Fernie Community Centre, 901 – 6th Avenue, June 3, 2015 at 7:15pm.”