Michelle and I were artists in the Festival of Lights this past weekend and, although the work was hard, it was worth it. To be part of community projects is so important to me and to push us to work in a different way (glowing 3D objects!) gets the brain working double-time. Thank goodness Michelle doesn’t mind getting involved in these projects with me.
The whole event was incredibly fun. Parading around downtown with our families, dancing in a crowd, looking at the other brilliant art installations, drinking hot chocolate and watching fireworks at the end. A great event for Fernie!
Posted in Activity, Children and Babies, Community Event, Fernie BC, Festivals, Friends and Family, Live Performance, Living Local, Real Life Events, Team, The Arts, The People
Tagged Art Project, Fernie, Fernie Lantern Festival, The Arts Station
Above: Out of the Box Dumpster Project 2015
I’ve been participating in the Dumpster Art Project for a few years now and this year I will once again paint a garbage bin. Each year I’m more and more hesitant to join because Dumpster Art day always falls on the hottest day of the summer and my bin is always in the sunniest part of the street. I’m not so good with direct sunlight for 8 hours straight, especially now that I’m living with vitaligo. This year, however, The Arts Station has changed things up a bit. It’s now an evening affair with a DJ and beer tent and good chill vibes. I’m extremely happy with this decision. So, if you’re looking for a cool night out on June 30th, myself and a handful of other local artists will be tackling some enormous blank canvases and could use a little heckling.
From The Arts Station’s website: “The Arts Station in partnership with The City of Fernie is pleased to announce a Call for Entry for the 5th Annual; ‘Out of the Box: A Dumpster Art Project’. Out of the Box is a project in which 6-12 commercial trash and recycling dumpsters are transformed into works of public art by regional artists. The dumpsters will be painted in a live art event from 4-9pm on June 30th, with live music and a bar in Station Square.”
Posted in Activity, Community Event, Fernie BC, Ideas Galore, Live Performance, Living Local, The Arts
Tagged Art Project, City of Fernie, live painting, Out of the Box Dumpster Project, Station Square, The Arts Station
Last night a few of us got together to discuss the possibilities in designing a lantern…and there are many many possibilities. Sometimes it seems overwhelming but then we’re reminded that a lantern could be a mason jar with some paint on it. Of course, there are those who enjoy the challenge and creative aspect of building something original.
A few key points made, that might be nice to share with everyone:
• Art On Fire will only succeed with the help of the community. It takes certain people to come out to the meetings, find out what’s going on and then spread the word. There are lots of people out there who would love to contribute but the information doesn’t get to them.
• Art On Fire is not just for The Arts Station members. It’s for everyone, individuals, businesses, organizations, of all ages and sizes.
• The bigger more extravagant lanterns will take more time and energy but it doesn’t have to be an overwhelming project that you take on yourself. If you have a design idea, get some friends to help figure out the logistics of lighting, assembly, colours etc.
• You keep your lantern!
• The Arts Station is offering their space and materials to those who want to make lanterns. Available times to come in are:
Mon Oct 25 from 6 to 9 pm
Tues Oct 26 from 6 to 9 pm
Wed Oct 27 from 6 to 9 pm
Mon Nov 1 from 6 to 9 pm
Tues Nov 2 from 6 to 9 pm
Wed Nov 3 from 6 to 9 pm
Thurs Nov 4 from 6 to 9 pm
Fri Nov 5 from 6 to 9 pm
Sun Nov 7 from 1 to 5 pm
Wed Nov 10 from 10 am to 5 pm
A small group of us have been getting together regularly to work out details for the upcoming Fernie Lantern Festival (late 2010) and we’re looking for willing and excited people to help us make this evening bright and beautiful.
Possible ways to contribute:
1. Join The Team – Help us make this event soar! Contact the Arts Station at 250-423-4842 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, if you’re interested.
2. Make A Lantern – The Arts Station will be opening their space, free for all ages and levels, for those willing and wanting to create a lantern or two…or more if that excites you. There will be different levels of lantern making 1. directed and very easy, 2. directed and a little more detailed, to 3. bigger and imaginative. Schedule on Lantern Making Classes to come.
3. Volunteers – The day of the Lantern Festival we will need a group of people to help us make sure the evening runs smoothly.
We still have quite a bit of decisions to make regarding the Lantern Festival but I just wanted to put the idea in your brain. Being part of something big and wonderful can be very rewarding. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
p.s. The above photo is from China’s Lantern Festival. If you click on it, you’ll see more photos from this extravagant festival…with a tragic ending. Woah.
Posted in Birthday, Children and Babies, Community Event, Fernie BC, Festivals, Hosts and Planners, Ideas Galore, The Arts, The People, Volunteering
Tagged Art Project, Fernie BC, Lantern Festival, Volunteers