The biggest Griz Day Festival of the year is about to begin. It’s a three day winter festival for us all to enjoy from February 27th until March 1st. I am looking forward to the market (for my belly), the family dance party (to see Roman dance) and the dummy downhill (for all of us). Plus, did you know Kevin Martin is going to be in Fernie for Griz Days? That’s pretty cool.
If you’re looking for a schedule, I found a pretty detailed one on TourismFernie.com. Check it out!
But here’s is a short list of my own favorites:
• Saturday, 9 – 2 pm – Griz Days Craft Fair at the Fernie Community Centre
• Saturday, 11 am – Bacon Spectacular charity breakfast (pancakes, bacon, ham, sausage) at The Northern- all proceeds benefit the Heart & Stroke Foundation
• Saturday, 6:30 pm – Griz Days “Fire & Ice” Parade down 2nd Avenue
• Saturday, 7 – 11 pm – Fire and Ice Dance Party – Aquatic Centre Parking Lot with Scenic Route To Alaska playing live and fireworks at 8 pm and you can’t miss Commit 2 Pain Rail Jam finals.
• Sunday, 1 pm – Raging Elk Dummy Downhill at Fernie Alpine Resort.
• Sunday, 2:30 – 4 – Griz Days family dance at the Community Centre.
If you want to see Kevin Martin, you have three possible events that may or may not already be sold out.
1) Friday night at 7 pm, A Fernie Museum Event – Road to the Olympics. Presentation by Canadian Olympic curler Kevin Martin. Comp tickets may be available at the museum.
2) Buy tickets to The Road to the Olympics – Draw Weight: Banquet & Presentation by Canadian Olympic Curler Kevin Martin at Fernie Curling Club on Saturday at 7pm – $50 Banquet tickets available online at eventbrite.ca, at the Fernie Museum and from Fernie Curling Club executive.
3) You can also get a few curling tips at 1pm on Saturday – Improve your Curling with Kevin Martin – $15 student/$25 adult
(Scenic Route To Alaska – video for Paris)